Monday, June 7, 2010

More Defense

Here is another article I stumbled upon while searching for a copy of the article I posted yesterday.

I like this mother’s defense of play-based preschool, and I am going to be doing a lot more research into play-based preschools. I am guilty of having been nervous that my child will not be reading by kindergarten, and that he’ll be educationally stunted and possibly never catch up (see article).

But the truth is that it’s more important that he learn in age-appropriate ways. The author of this article states: “A wide range of research shows that kids do best — not just in kindergarten, but throughout the later grades — when they're allowed to learn in age-appropriate ways.”

So – let’s try to let our kids learn in age-appropriate ways. I’ll be sharing with you our journey in this learning adventure.

See, already I’ve learned a lot! And we haven’t even started our first week! Although, check out our “lesson plans” for this week. We’re going to be learning about THE FAMILY. I think that’s the best way to start out this preschool blog.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading "Boys Adrift" by Dr. Leonard Sax. Very interesting. I'll be posting a review on my blog here in the next couple of days. I was asking the other moms if there boys (2 and 3) were already learning the alphabet/numbers etc. Most of them are starting. I've now decided that unless Joshua has an interest, we wont be doing letters until he's at least 5. I'm not planning and doing reading until 6 or 7. Anyway, its an interesting book and once I get the book review up I'll have more to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. V showed an interest in letters (and numbers) at a very early age (around 18 months he was already saying most of the alphabet - just from listening/watching his kindergarten-aged uncle practice letters) and was also counting. He now loves to count - even though he doesn't know all the numbers - and he doesn't recognize any of them. I figure I'll expose them to him, but I won't push if he doesn't seem interested.

    I can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete